- Notifications are available for any device that provides measurement data except for Smart Plugs at the moment. We're going to be adding notifications for Smart Plugs at a future point in time.
- Notifications are app-based alerts at the moment. Adding additional notification methods (such as email, sms/text) is an option we're looking to add in the future as well.
- Once a notification threshold has been detected as warranting an alert, you should receive the notification within a few mins but can take up to 15-20 mins to receive.
- Notifications are specific to the mobile app that setup the notification. This means that a notification setup for a specific device measurement would not trigger on other accounts the device might be shared with or any other apps, phones, devices where that account might be logged into (unless the same notification has been setup on that phone as well).
How Notifications work?
All Emporia devices upload their measurement data to the Emporia cloud. At the cloud, we scan measurement data to see if notification threshold limitations are passed or not for specific time periods. Once a threshold has been detected, we'll trigger an app-based notification to the mobile device with the notification enabled on. Its important to note that the entire window of time set as the time increment will have to see that usage threshold passed for a notification to trigger. That means if you have an "exceeds 1kW for 1 minute" notification setup, you'd need the entire minutes record to have over 1kW for the alert to fire. If you're running at +1kW for 50 seconds out of the entire minute and drop under for 10 seconds, then the alert would not fire. Once the threshold has been passed and a notification is triggered, then the usage will have to revert "back to normal" before another notification is sent. Based on the example above, that means you'd have to surpass 1kW for an entire minute - and until usage has decreased under 1kW for an entire minute, the notification will not be triggered again.
In the Emporia Energy app we include a variety of default notification options. As of right now the only three functional default Notifications will be:
1.) Oven left on - Requires a Gen 1 or Gen 2 device with a CT/circuit labeled as "Cooktop/Range/Oven/Stove". Will trigger when usage on this circuit surpasses "on" (any usage) for more than 2 hours.
2.) Approaching 15 Min Monthly Peak - Based on the "mains" circuit for a Gen 1 or Gen 2 device (not circuit selectable) or the only measurement for a Utility Connect/EV Charger. Will calculate 15-minute windows of usage and alert if you're upcoming 15 mins is within the top 3 15-minute windows for the month.
3.) Emporia Notifications - Will notify you with updates related to your connected device.
4.) Emporia Offline - Will notify if we detect the device has been disconnected for more than 10-mins from the Emporia cloud.
Other default notifications will have functionality added in the future and are currently acting as placeholders in the app.
Navigating the app to Notifications:
1.) Select menu icon (☰) in top left corner of app.
2.) Select Notifications under Settings.
Once notifications have been setup, then a history of your triggered notifications will be available within the app as well. That history is saved for 30 days. Tapping the "Notifications" button towards the bottom of the screen will take you to the notifications history page:
- Setting up a Custom Notification
- How-to setup a "stopped charging" notification for EV Charger.
Feedback and Suggestions
This knowledge base is pretty new for the Emporia team. Our goal is to provide all of the information we can to help you manage your energy in better ways. If this article wasn't helpful, or we could be more clarifying on any points please reach out to the Customer Support team and we'll certainly work to improve these guides.
Please sign in to leave a comment.